Soap Nuts Liquid Laundry Soap Recipe
- 15-20 soap nuts
- 6 cups water
- Optional: 10-20 drops of essential oil for fragrance (e.g., lavender, lemon)
- Place the soap nuts in a pot with 6 cups of water.
- Bring the water to a boil and then reduce the heat to a simmer.
- Allow the soap nuts to simmer in the water for about 30-40 minutes. The water will turn slightly brownish and soapy.
- Let the mixture cool and then strain out the soap nuts, reserving the liquid.
- If desired, add a few drops of essential oil to the liquid for fragrance.
- Transfer the soap nut liquid to a container with a lid. Store it in a cool, dark place or in the refrigerator if you're concerned about preservation.
- Use approximately 1/4 to 1/2 cup of the soap nut liquid per regular laundry load, depending on the size of your load and the level of dirtiness.
- For best results, agitate the detergent well in the water before adding clothes.
- This detergent will not create as many suds as commercial detergents, but it's still effective at cleaning.
- If you notice any slight colour variations in your clothes after using soap nut detergent, don't worry; it's a natural occurrence and won't harm your clothes.
- Remember soap nut detergent is gentle and suitable for most types of clothes, but you might want to test it on delicate fabrics or items with special care instructions before using it for all your laundry.